Remembering The 80’s Vibe: A Complete Guide to Choosing the Best Boombox for Kids
As adults, we are more than aware of the power that music has on our lives. It has turned many dull moments to happy memories and gave us a renewed perspective on life. As much as possible, we also want our kids to experience the same—if not more. In this post, we ask that you join us as we explore the wonderful world of boomboxes for kids.
What is a Boombox?
A boombox is an all-in-one stereo system that boasts the power of home speakers and a portable music player combined. It can either be battery-powered or plugged into a wall socket depending on the needs of the owner. While it has been around for decades, a new version of this indoor and outdoor party-favorite is currently dominating the market—boomboxes for kids.
This kind of boombox is designed to be easy to operate. Most boomboxes for kids come in interesting and exciting exteriors with vibrant colors—some even feature famous characters from movies and television shows. Since they are manufactured to entice the young market, these boomboxes are often equipped with a sturdy and shockproof case to withstand repeated and harsh battering.
Should You Buy Your Kid a Boombox?
These days, it is not an unusual sight to see young children slouched and totally engaged in their own smartphones and tablets—some use it as an educational tool while others use it for entertainment. However, it can be too big an investment for some parents to buy their kids these devices. There are also parents who consciously choose not to buy one because of the fact that owning these kinds of devices is a big responsibility both for the child and his guardians.
As an alternative to this somewhat pricey gadgets, more and more parents are buying their kids boomboxes. With that in mind, do you think it’s worth it? To help you figure that out, we have rounded up the pros and cons of buying a boombox for your kid below.
- Nurture your kid’s love for music
As we have mentioned earlier, music can do many great and unimaginable things for humans. Thus, when your kid shows even the slightest interest in music, it would be wise to support him and buy him a music player that is portable, durable, and functional.
- Allow them to relax and be inspired
In case you’re not aware, kids suffer from stress too—what with all the school stuff, after-school activities, and whatnots. That being said, a boombox might be the answer that will give him the peace and quiet that he needs. Moreover, he can also find a source of inspiration and motivation through the right choices in music.
- Teach them the responsibility of owning a device
Children, even toddlers, should be taught not just how to value relationships but also how to take care of his possessions. Giving him a device such as a boombox would teach him how to become responsible for the things that he uses and owns.
- Be forced to listen to their music
Yes, we love our kids to bits—that’s an absolute fact. However, in all honesty, being forced to listen to the theme song to Disney’s Moana or Frozen all day long is not something most parents look forward to.
Having laid out all the advantages and disadvantages of buying your kid a boombox, do you think you’ll go for it? If yes, then read on! In the next section, we’ll share with you the tips on how to select the best boombox for kids.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Boombox for Kids
Before you can choose which boombox model to buy for your child, it would be wise to first educate yourself about the features that you should be looking for when buying one. Check some of these features below.
- Sound Quality
While most kids boomboxes are created more as a tool to entertain young children than provide listening pleasure, the quality of the sound it produces should not be taken for granted. For that reason, you would want a boombox that features quality audio technology so that it delivers a rich sound that can fill an entire room.
The truth is that in this day and age of digital everything, we feel that we always need to be connected to the web in one way or another. The same thing can be applied to boomboxes. When buying one for your kid, you might want to choose a model that can play different audio formats such as those recorded in cassettes, CDs, and digitally. In that way, your child is given the most options, and he can choose which one is the most convenient for him.
- Power Source
As stated above, boomboxes can run either via the use of batteries or connection to a wall socket. When looking for cordless ones, make sure that the item you are going to buy will have a long battery life so as to provide your kid with the best listening experience.
- Portability and Durability
Boomboxes are equipped with handles that allow them to be easily transported from one place to the next. When selecting a boombox for your kid, you would want to ensure that it is lightweight enough that a child can carry it. In addition, you also want to make sure that it is made from durable materials so that it can survive even the harshest of handling.
- AM/FM Presets
There will be times that your kid wouldn’t want to listen to his own tracks. Thus, it is vital that his boombox comes equipped with an AM/FM tuner. By listening to records on the radio, he can broaden his music scope and open his ears to new sounds.
Top Six Best Boombox for Kids
1. Disney Frozen Anna & Elsa Sing-Along Boombox with Microphone by eKids
Does your kid adore Frozen’s Elsa and Anna? Then this sing-along boombox could be the perfect gift for them! It was designed and manufactured by eKids, a global brand with over six decades of experience in the consumer electronics industry. This boombox can surely bring fun for toddlers and young children alike. The recommended age is anywhere between three to 15 years old.
- Working microphone: Let your kids sing along to her favorite tunes using the real, working microphone that is connected to this boombox. It comes with a three-foot-long cord that would allow your child to move freely even when holding the microphone.
- Built-in music: This boombox comes with three built-in songs from Disney’s Frozen, namely: Let It Go, In Summer, and For the First Time in Forever. You can either play it in demo mode, which plays only a part of the song or you can listen to it from beginning up to the very end.
- Compatibility: Listen to any song you like by directly connecting this boombox to your iPod or MP3 player. In fact, any music player with the standard 3.5mm jack is compatible with this boombox.
- Compartment: Once you have connected your music player to this boombox, you can place it in the back chamber. Afterward, you are now free to take this boombox wherever and whenever.
- Flashing lights: Yet another feature that adds character and fun to this boombox is its flashing lights. These lights dance along with the music.
- Portability and easy storage: This item weighs only around 1.1 pounds, which means your child can carry it easily wherever he goes. Additionally, it also very easy to store as it only measures 2.6 by 9.5 by 9 inches.
All in all, the Disney Frozen Anna & Elsa Sing-Along Boombox with Microphone would be a wise investment especially if your child adores this sister-duo. The real, working microphone would help them practice and hone their singing talents while the flashing lights further stimulate their eyes.
The back compartment would ensure that the iPod or any MP3 player connected to it is safe and secured from any outside element.
Really, all you need is three AA batteries, and you’re good to go! Your child can also effortlessly carry this boombox anywhere she goes because it’s made of lightweight materials put together in a compact design.
The only setback that this boombox has is its very limited connectivity option. It comes with one regular 3.5mm jack. It will have been better if we are given the option to connect via Bluetooth or USB slot.
2. Auna Roadie Multi-Color Boombox by Berlin Brands Group, Inc.
The Auna Roadie Multi-Color Boombox aims for more than just providing a remarkable audio experience. It is also specially designed to look appealing to the eye. Unlike other boomboxes for kids that are designed with the faces of whichever cartoon character is popular at the time, the Auna Roadie Boombox boasts a simple yet classic look.
- Cordless or plugged-in option: With Auna Roadie Multi-Color Boombox, you can choose to have it powered by batteries or plugged-in a wall socket. Either way, it delivers an unmatched convenience to the user. This boombox runs on six type-C batteries and has a 110V to 120V electrical plug.
- Speakers or headphone jack: Whether you plan on hosting a house party or just chill out and listen to your favorite songs alone, this boombox has got you covered. It comes with two 1.5 W speakers, providing you with audio that is loud enough to bring fun and enjoyment to your party. On the other hand, it is also equipped with a headphone output for those times when you want to enjoy your tunes without disturbing the neighbors.
- Versatility: Similar to the boomboxes of the past, the Auna Roadie Boombox is equipped with a CD player on the top that can play CDs, CD-RWs, CD-Rs, and MP3 CDs. Additionally, it also has a built-in AM/FM radio and a collapsible antenna that allows it to connect to various radio stations. You can also choose to play your music via the USB port or Bluetooth connection.
- Portable: Weighing no more than 3.4 pounds, you can easily carry this boombox around to bring the party with you anywhere and anytime. It has overall dimensions of 7.9 by 9.5 by 5.2 inches, making it easy to store as it does not take up a lot of space.
- LED multi-color play: This boombox is the perfect companion to any party as it comes equipped with multi-colored LED lights that dance along with the rhythm of the music—for what is a party without flashing lights, right?
When it comes to modern-day boomboxes, it’s all about connectivity and versatility. These are precisely what you will get when you buy the Auna Roadie Multi-Color Boombox. First, it boasts the combined audio power of two 1.5W speakers. Second, it can either be battery-powered or plugged-in. Next, you can play music from various sources such as a CD, flash drive, MP3 player, or via Bluetooth. Lastly, it comes with flashing lights in multiple colors that would take any party to the next level.